Sunday, March 1, 2009

I have another disease

I have recently self-diagnosed myself with pre-hypertension. 

According to my notes, pre-hypertension is characterized by having a systolic blood pressure between 120-139, and/or a diastolic of 80-89, on two different occasions.  So, because I sit on a closed floor of the hospital when I work graveyard, and have nothing to do, I just out of curiosity took my blood pressure.  Im running at about 139/85.  I took my blood pressure again after two hours passed, and it was around that same value again.  I then took my BP again two days later and it was still there. 

I am now attempting a low sodium/fat/cholesterol diet.  I should probably start exercising again too, but that is honestly probably not going to happen until schools out.


In other news, we are starting to learn how to start IV's really soon.  INTENSE.


3 comments:

Andrew C. said...

scary... but then again you are filipino :p

even i have high cholesterol. i guess i should start an exercise/diet too.

Elisha Marie said...

Check this out too: http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-he-sodium23-2009feb23,0,7924170.story

It's about potassium-sodium ratio and cardiovascular health.

Really exciting about IVs. I just realized that you and I will both be taking boards in 2010. Crazy...

Mae Gagajena said...

starting IVs wow! Well that just reminded me of the very firs time I was going to start an IV on a real live human subject. Lets just say that I woke up on the floor still holding the needle - hehehehe